Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Rye Bread




This recipe comes from my book Savour, and I have just seen on the Amazon website that they have 4 'used' copies from $2.42 (plus postage), good to know as now it is almost impossible to find in New Zealand. 






Rye Bread

Ingredients:
300 ml warm water
2 tsp active yeast granules
1/2 tsp brown sugar
300 g rye flour
200 g high grade flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp molasses
1 tsp caraway seeds

Place the warm water in a large bowl, add the yeast and brown sugar then set aside for 5 minutes. When the yeast starts to bubble, add both kinds of flour, salt, molasses and caraway seeds. Work into a dough for about 10 minutes using your fingers; it will be quite sticky so knead it in the bowl. Shape into a ball, sprinkle it with rye flour and leave to rise in the bowl, covered with a damp tea towel, for about 2 hours. Punch the dough and knead it for 1 minute. Form into an oval shape (this time I made it into a long loaf instead), sprinkle with more rye flour and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Leave the dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours. Bake in a preheated 230°C oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the loaf makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.

Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©

15 comments:

  1. Non resisto alla farina di segale nel pane, tesoro! Lo devo assolutamente provareee! Un abbraccio stretto e un bacio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anche a me piace, la prossima volta provo con più segale :-)

      Delete
  2. Alessandra I love this bread look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IL A l'air délicieux j'aime beaucoup
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amo molto il pane di segale, il tuo ha davvero un aspetto fantastico Ale!
    bacione

    ReplyDelete
  6. un aspetto meraviglioso, e il sapore me lo posso immaginare. Anche a me piace molto il pane di segale.
    un abbraccio .D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! We've recently launched the site www.Recipesup.com, on our website you can promote your blog and win prizes. I invite you to go and take a look. Your blog will be in the top rank of Recipesup blogs. Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely I'm going to try out this recipe! Recently I bake bread for my family all the time, and I LOVE rye bread! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I need to try this!

    ♡ rika, vegan miam
    www.veganmiam.com
    ★ i travel + i eat vegan blog ★

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good rye.... I must give this one a try...it looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails