Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Eating and drinking in the North of Veneto, part 1!

Yes I know that the Veneti from the north may seem a bit ... stiff? Austrian? Cold? Whatever!
I am half Veneta so I can handle it, starting with POLENTA!
My cousins Giovanna and Saverio asked me what I wanted to eat and I wanted the most traditional staple I could think of: Polenta and Schiz. Schiz is a kind of fresh white cheese, similar to Holloumi. It can not be eaten 'raw' but it needs to be cooked in a frying pan (with no oil) until soft and lightly golden. Butter and cream are usually added once all the water from the cheese has dried up.

A few calories here, I know...but we are in the mountains!

Taa Daa! Polenta e Schiz!

The second pilgrimage is to the Pedavena Brewery, where they make Pedavena and Dolomiti beers.

Here is the brewery....

...and attached to the brewery the birreria (bar/restaurant) where you can get unpastorised Pedavena beer on tap.

For more info about this local gem click here

And after the zucchini flowers, back to Aunt Alice veggie garden for a balanced diet.

Photos by Alessandra Zecchini ©


  1. io voto la polenta le verdure per una volta tientele.
    ah ovviamente un bicchiere di birra gelata!

  2. niente frutta? Tutto biologico! uva spina, ribes, prugne e pomi...

  3. Ausgezeichnete Empfehlungen! Diese Region hat eine Menge zu bieten während eines Urlaubs. Besonders lecker Essen.



Related Posts with Thumbnails