Come along to the Auckland Vegetarian Food & Lifestyle Festival THIS SUNDAY
28th September 10am to 4pm
Mt Eden War Memorial Hall,
487 Dominion Road, Balmoral,
(opp. Potters Park).
I will be doing a cooking demo at 1:00pm, and I will include this dish:
Vegan Risotto with Saffron and Porcini Mushrooms
2 tbsp dried porcini mushrooms
1 small onion
1 tbsp olive oil
400 g Arborio rice
1 l vegetable stock, hot
1 g saffron
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 50 ml warm water.
- Slice the onion and sauté with the olive oil until translucent in colour.
- Add the rice and stir.
- When the rice is hot add the mushrooms and their water.
- Add the stock little by little, always stirring.
- When the rice is al dente (15 – 20 minutes) add the saffron and stir well.
- If the rice is not cooked yet add a little hot water.
Tips and variations
Vegetarians can add a little butter or grated vegetarian cheese at the end.
For more texture if you like you can add fresh mushrooms (sliced) when sautéing the onion.